Monday, January 3, 2011

Lending a Helping Hand

Jude 22-23:  Show mercy to some people who have doubts.  Take others out of the fire, and save them.  Show mercy mixed with fear to others, hating even their clothes which are dirty from sin.

The Past:  I remember running away from people all the time.  Not because I wanted to, but because I HAD to.  They wanted to beat me up.  Why?  I'll never know.  Maybe it was because I had something they wanted.  Or, maybe they just felt the need to pick on someone smaller.  I hated them.  I never felt safe walking in my own neighborhood when I knew they were around.  I remember one time they set off fireworks aimed in my direction and I had to duck and run just to miss them.  What I hated even more was that my brother was friends with them.  The only mercy I showed them was when I said "mercy" when they had me in a choke or arm hold.
  I was glad when I went into the Navy.  I was away from them, although I missed "home".  I was away from having to watch my back when I walked down the street to helping others in the various drills we had.  I was starting to become a family with my fellow submariners.  But there was one person I remember who was always picked on.  He was the company "slacker".  Not because he wanted to be, but because it was hard for him to keep up.  Others made fun of him, so I did.  But no one picked up his slack, or tried to help him.  It was on the day of our fire fighting drills that something inside me felt different.  I felt Mercy.  Not for me.  But for this "slacker".  I knew that if I were ever in a situation like the one we were in (a sinking sub on fire) I would need to rely on him for my life.  I went over and helped him.  As soon as I did, others followed.  Finally, I felt like someone.  Someone who can help others and can be helped as well.  I had a new family in the Navy.  But I also had my family back home.  And I knew, when I went back home I could face my fears and have mercy on those who did not like me. 

My Present:  Even though I have never spoken to those who tried to beat me up and kept me scared, I forgive them.  In my heart I know that God forgives them as well.  Maybe they were like me and never knew God.  They were just kids being kids/bullies.  Maybe their home life was not as well as mine.  I'll never know. 
Now that I know God I know I can show and have mercy.  Sometimes it may not always look like I do.  When my son is "hurt" from falling down.  When my students don't try.  When my wife is sick.  I do care for all of them.  And I do have mercy for them.  But I believe their is a difference in having mercy and just wanting them to try harder/suck it up. 
I leave my mercy for those who are doubters.  Some of my college friends can't believe I am a church going man and I found God.  Some people can't believe I teach church school and lead discussions to over 400 youth at mission trips every year.  They may doubt me, and sometimes still do.  But I show them, through Gods love that anything is possible.  And to those I love, I do care about deeply and show mercy. 

My Goals:  So, I started today off (after taking the kids to day care) by taking a long walk with my dog, Lucy.  The air was crisp and the sun was shinning.  It was a great walk.  Something I am glad I did.  It made me miss my running outside.  And I am sure Lucy missed sniffing all the trees as well. 
Tonight I will start working out with my weights.  I even have a small routine I am planning.  To get under 200lbs won't be that hard - I just have to stick with it.  Also, for those who have ever doubted that I can get below 200lbs gives me more reason to try.  I know I can.  And will.

Dear Lord,  Please allow me to help those who have doubts.  Not only about you, but for others as well.  Let us try our hardest to be who we can be, as well as who you want us to be.  May we have mercy not just from others, but from you as well.    Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on this post.